California earthquake: Fears of the Big One as hundreds rattle San Andreas fault line | World | News

California suffered a huge 4.9-magnitude earthquake last night, sending strong volts across the US amid fears of an even bigger imminent mega-quake. The earthquake hit 11 miles out of its nearest town Anza, and about 22 miles south of Palm Springs. More than a hundred quakes were recorded by the US Geological Survey (USGS). 

The earthquake, which was 6.6 miles deep, was felt up to 100 miles from its epicentre. 

It was so strong that it was felt throughout Los Angeles and San Diego.

The earthquake struck just miles from the San Andreas fault line, one of the most dangerous fault lines in the worlds. 

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was no immediate tsunami threat.

JUST IN: Anti-EU fury: Italian mayors rip down EU flags in outrage at Brussels

Tom Rockwell, a San Diego State University scientist who has studied the San Jacinto system, warned that “the big one” could happen tomorrow.

He said: “Could we have a big one tomorrow? Yes.

“Could it wait another 100 years? Yes. The return time is quite variable.

“There is a 5 percent chance that this was a foreshock to a larger earthquake in the next 48 hours. But there’s a 95 percent chance that nothing will happen.”

Weather Youtuber MrMBB333 remarked people in California “should be ready for anything, with quakes happening that close to the San Andreas fault line”.

He told viewers: “They are not big enough to do damage themselves, but they are perhaps an indicator for something bigger.

“It can precede a larger earthquake. You have to be on alert. There were aroud 104 aftershocks in this current earthquake swarm.”

Californians have been waiting for the quake they call “the Big One” since 1906, when San Francisco experienced an estimated magnitude-7.9 temblor along the San Andreas fault.

The 1906 earthquake killed more than 3,000 and injured 225,000.

MrMBB333 also pointed to a recent surge in activity along Yellowstone, where a supervolcano sits.

The Youtuber added: “Yellowstone continues to be very active in the last 24 hours. That is a lot of movement.”

This comes after the first earthquake above magnitude-5 to hit Idaho, close to Yellowstone, was recorded this week. 

Source link