Lionel Messi insists he is “excited” for the future at Barcelona in the biggest hint yet he will extend his stay at the club. Messi is out of contract at Barca at the end of the season and wanted to leave the Nou Camp last summer. The Argentine thought he could move on a free transfer due to a clause in his contract but the now-departed president Josep Maria Bartomeu blocked his exit.
Barcelona have had a below-par start to the season domestically, as they sit fifth in the La Liga table.
Messi has continued to be linked with a move away from the club, even though presidential candidates Joan Laporta and Victor Font insist they will ensure the 33-year-old stays if they win the election.
Messi has scored just nine goals in all competitions this season but did equal Pele’s record of the most goals for a single club when he netted his 643rd strike for Barca in Saturday’s 2-2 draw against Valencia.
And in a preview of an interview with Spanish TV channel La Sexta, which will be aired fully this Sunday, Messi claims he is in a much better place than where he was in the summer and is looking forward to where things go at Barca.
“I know that the club is going through a difficult time, at club and team level, and everything that surrounds Barcelona is difficult but I am looking forward to it.”
Paris Saint-Germain star and Messi’s former Barca team-mate Neymar claimed earlier this month he would love to play with the superstar again.
However, Barca boss Ronald Koeman says it must be down to Messi to decide where his future lies.
“If there’s anyone who needs to decide about his future, it’s Leo himself,” Koeman said.