The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were photographed laying flowers at the Los Angeles National Cemetery. Some royal watchers criticised the event as a “publicity stunt” after the couple released the pictures of their private service.
On Monday, royal biographer Ingrid Seward told The Sun: “The Sussex’s wanted it to look like they cared, which I am sure they did.
“But it backfired and looked like what it was – a publicity stunt.”
She claimed the old “brave” military Prince Harry is “lost forever” since his exit from royal duties.
Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan also previously blasted the Sussexes’ photographs as a “distasteful PR stunt”.
He believed the pictures were designed to get back to Buckingham Palace after it reportedly refused Prince Harry’s request to lay a wreath on his behalf at the Royal Family’s Remembrance service.
The Queen was reportedly not told about Prince Harry’s request.
His request was refused on the basis that the Duke of Sussex no long represents the monarchy, according to The Times.
Ms Seward said she believes Her Majesty might have agreed to the request but it would have been complicated politically.
Mr Morgan specialises in fashion and celebrity portraiture and was commissioned by the couple to take their Remembrance Day snaps.
Prince Harry served in the British Army for ten years where he undertook two tours of Afghanistan.
During his time in the military he rose to the rank of Captain.
In 2014, Prince Harry revealed he missed being an Apache helicopter pilot and would like to return to flying sometime in the future.
Ms Seward said Prince Harry “was hailed as a hero after his deployment in Afghanistan”.
She added: “We need the old Harry back, but sadly I think the Harry of old, that brave, charming young man, who worked so hard to help his fellow servicemen before and after conflict, is lost forever.”
In September, a source claimed Prince Harry had joined a helicopter club in the US after he qualified as an Apache commander in 2013 while in the Army.
The prince left the British Army soon after he gained his licence to instead focus on charity ventures.
A royal insider told The Sun: “He’s very proud of that licence, he worked hard to get first the basic and then the Apache.
“He’s hardly likely to be recalled for military service in England again but he wants to keep hours up for personal use, so he and Meghan can just take off for expeditions if they want to.”