Shark attack news: Australia surfer airlifted to hospital after surviving dangerous bite | World | News

A 29-year-old surfer is understood to have escaped a shark after the animal bit him on Sunday afternoon. The attack – by a great white shark – took place in Kangaroo Island waters.

Emergency services were called to D’Estrees Bay about 2.20pm.

The victim swam back to shore where a member of the public assisted him.

An air ambulance met the driver that was taking the surfer to the hospital as they were making their way there.

Of the emergency, South Australia Police said: “The man managed to paddle back to shore and sought help from a member of the public who drove him toward Kingscote.

“Paramedics met the car en route and transported the man the rest of the way to the hospital.

“He was then airlifted to Adelaide for treatment.”

Police said the surfer is not believed to be in a life threatening condition.

Signs have been distributed along D’Estrees Bay beach warning beach-goers of its closure.

The incident took place at about 8.45am local time with the man being rescued from the water, according to Western Australia Police.

He was treated by police officers before St John Ambulance arrived before he died

Western Australia Police told CNN: “About 8.45am this morning, 22 November 2020, police were advised of a fatal shark attack at Cable Beach. The man was recovered from the water and was treated by local police before arrival of St John Ambulance.

“Tragically the man, a local resident aged in his 50s, died as a result of his injuries.”

Due to the circumstances, local authorities ordered the closure of beaches in the area until the following morning from Coconut Wells to Streeter’s Jetty.

The Shire of Broome said: “People are urged to stay out of the water and not travel to the beaches.

“No swimming is permitted under any circumstances.

“The decision has been made in consultation and partnership with the Department of Fisheries and other relevant stakeholders.”

Source link