Universal Credit UK: Housing benefits available via the DWP explained | Personal Finance | Finance

Universal Credit has provided vital support to those who need it most, particularly within the last few weeks and months as a result of the coronavirus crisis. The benefit, offered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), attempts to offer some support to those who are struggling with their finances or need an extra boost – those on low income and those who are out of work. But there are also several extra methods of assistance which can fall alongside Universal Credit for those who are eligible.

Particular assistance comes in the form of meeting housing costs, an often significant expense for many Britons.

Firstly, some Universal Credit claimants may be entitled to Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

The DHP is available to those who are claiming Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability as well as Housing Benefit.

While claimants cannot receive a DHP to help with Council Tax, it can provide vital support to those who are claiming the universal benefit.

DHP can cover housing costs such as a rent shortfall, rent deposits, or rent in advance if a person needs to move home.

It is important to note, however, that claiming a DHP can only be undertaken through a local council.

Each local council within the UK will have different rules and regulations on making a claim, and so Britons are encouraged to visit these specific websites for further information.

Another method of housing support for claimants can come in the form of an Alternative Payment Arrangement. 

READ MORE: Retail worker faces eviction in lockdown rent crisis – Citizens Advice

And people with specific disabilities could also gain a disabled facilities grant to assist with modifications to the home.

The grant is provided by the local council to help with issues such as installing stairlifts, widening doorways and adding lighting controls. 

Claimants may be entitled to a grant of up to £36,000 to achieve these aims. 

Finally, those eligible for the benefit could also receive a Council Tax reduction. 

More information on personal circumstances in this regard is available through the government website, Citizens Advice and the Money Advice Service. 

Source link