Published On: Mon, Oct 11th, 2021

WHO makes major vaccine U-turn as experts recommend third dose for two groups of people | Science | News


A team of WHO scientists have reportedly recommended a third dose of a . The U-turn comes after months of top WHO officials calling on nations not to stockpile their vaccine supplies for booster programmes. The WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE) on Immunization group met last week to discuss additional vaccines to people in two categories.

The first group includes people who are immunocompromised, whose natural defences against pathogens are weakened, “no matter which vaccine they received”.

According to molecular biologist and science journalist Kai Kupferschmidt, the second group includes people above the age of 60 who have received the Sinopharm or Sinovac vaccine.

The call for booster shots is supposedly based on Covid data collected in Latin America, where two vaccines have been extensively used.

Mr Kupferschmidt tweeted: “In both cases @WHO considers the additional dose to be part of the primary immunization series, so separate from the discussion about booster shots to shore up waning immunity.”

READ MORE: Covid passes become compulsory in Wales from today

Last month, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged the world’s wealthiest nations to reconsider rolling out booster shots.

He said was “appalled” to hear pharmaceutical companies has enough vaccine doses to offer booster shots while many developing nations were suffering vaccine shortages.

The WHO chief told a news conference: “I will not stay silent when companies and countries that control the global supply of vaccines think the world’s poor should be satisfied with leftovers.

“Because manufacturers have prioritized or been legally obliged to fulfil bilateral deals with rich countries willing to pay top dollar, low-income countries have been deprived of the tools to protect their people.”

The SAGE meeting, which was held October 4 to 7, determined booster shots of the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines “should be offered to persons aged 60 and above as part of an extended primary series”.

In addition, the group determined countries where the two jabs are being offered should first aim to maximise their two-dose vaccine coverage before rolling out booster shots, “starting in the oldest age groups”.

According to a WHO document listing the meeting’s highlights, the health branch of the United Nations will also recommend booster shots to immunocompromised people.

The SAGE group argued immunocompromised people are “less likely to respond adequately” to the standard two-dose jabs and need the added protection of a booster jab.

DON’T MISS…
A fifth of serious Covid cases are pregnant women [REPORT]
Previous Covid infection can boost protection from vaccines [STUDY]
AstraZeneca’s new wonderdrug produces ‘significant reduction’ in Covid [INSIGHT]

The group has also made recommendations about the COVACIN, which was developed by the Indian firm Bharat Biotech.

The vaccine has not been approved by the WHO for emergency use yet, however, a decision is expected to be made later this month.

Without emergency use authorisation (EUA), the jab will not be rolled out worldwide.

According to Bharat Biotech, clinical trials have shown the vaccine to be 77.8 percent effective.

According to data published by the WHO on Monday, more than 6.36 billion Covid vaccines have been administered around the globe.

Here in the UK, more than 49.15 million people have been given their first jab and more than 45.16 million have had their second dose.

In other words, more than 85 percent of the population above the age of 12 has received the first shot.

Globally, the coronavirus has infected more than 237 million people and killed more than 4.8 million.



Source link

About the Author

-